Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Iron Sharpens Iron

Scott was fortunate to spend some years in Montana sharpening his fly fishing skills, but after more than a decade in northeast Ohio, he had not yet taken time to chase steelhead on the fly.  When we met a few months ago, we immediately set a date to get that done.  Today was the day.  And, we got it done.

Being the lead pastor of a growing congregation has not afforded Scott as much time on the water as he once had.  I respect that.  I love where Scott has his priorities.  Getting to spend the day on the water with Scott was a treat.

Although Scott had not chased steelhead previously, he took to the game quickly.  He was the model student, and boy does that make my day easy.  The first fish he hooked caught him off guard as it streaked across the stream and vanished from his line.  He quickly made some recommended adjustments and fish were coming to his hand regularly the rest of the day.

As we walked the trail back to the truck I wondered to myself if Scott gained as much from this day as I did.  He is a guy that truly understands what it means when we talk about iron sharpening iron.  I know Scott walked away from the day with better fishing skills.  It's always my goal for the folks that fish with me to walk away from the day as better fishermen and as better people.  Today, I have to say, I walked away a better man for the time I spent with Scott.  For that, I owe you one buddy!

The first steelhead is the one that starts the addiction!

The second steelhead builds one's confidence.

This is the thrill we all look for.

The third steelhead is the one that earns a lifetime of appreciation.

A healthy release of life's stressors.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick,
    Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. That was just plain awesome. The whole day was perfect. In terms of a guide you were probably the best guide I think I've ever fished with. Patient. Professional (can't ever remember a guide who didn't cuss up a storm or go off the deep into the rated "r" section of life). Integrity. Upbeat and positive. I could totally bring my kids along with you without any hesitation. Your observations about my technique we're very helpful. Plus you got us into fish. One of the highlights of the trip was the time in the truck (5hrs of driving and worth every minute) and talking about things that really matter. Can't believe how quick that trip was there and back. Totally loved it.
    Brooks

    ReplyDelete