Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tweaking

Derek has been discussing finding time to get up to Steelhead Alley with me since back in August.  He is an accomplished trout fly fisherman, but steelhead have been giving him fits for several years.  He had planned to make the trip back in October, but he and his bride were expecting another baby and the new addition was threatening to come early, so he decided to reschedule.  Fate found a favorable time this past week for Derek to make the trip.

The conditions on Steelhead Alley have just been terrible for a couple of weeks.  We have had no rain and the tributaries have been low and clear.  The fishing has been really tough.  I had been preparing Derek for a tough trip and that is when fate stepped in.  0.67" of rain fell about 36 hours before our time on the creeks and this resulted in absolute perfect conditions.  Derek's 6 hour trip was feeling more palatable.

The biggest issue for folks with a lot of trout experience is how they view the fish.  Trout fisherman know that steelhead are genetically identical to rainbow trout, and often they assume that catching steelhead is no different than catching rainbow trout that are lifelong stream residents.   What trout fisherman forget is that the reason rainbow trout were renamed Oncorhyncus mykiss is because they are genetically closer to Pacific salmon than the Salmo species that include brown trout.  Once trout fisherman adjust their thinking of steelhead to being salmon, it becomes much easier for them to bring steelhead to hand often.

As the sun rose over the creek Derek was ready for a full day steelhead action.  He already had a handle on fly selection and getting the presentation to the fish.  He was really struggling with identifying water that held actively feeding steelhead in different water conditions.  I put him on a run and instructed him to make a drift.  He looked at me like I was crazy.  BOOM...FISH ON!  A beautiful fresh chrome hen came to his hand.

His grin was from ear to ear.  I told him it was pretty likely there is more than one fish in that run.  Hit it again.  BAM...FISH ON!  He quickly landed another dime bright fresh steelhead.  As he released the 2nd fish he admitted he would have never considered fishing that run.  We further discussed that run and why it would hold fish with the conditions of the day.  I could see the light come on for Derek. He got it.

The rest of the day, he identified runs that held fish and his reward was a double digit number of steelhead on his line.  A few simple tweaks to his game and now Derek is ready to successfully tackle the Alley on his own in the future.  It doesn't get any better than that!

If your game just needs a little tweaking...call me.  LET'S GO FISHIN'!

A dime bright reward.

The perfect drift in the right run equals FISH ON!

Look at the bend in that rod.

Yes, it does look like a rainbow trout...

A perfect release.

2 comments:

  1. Well said and very true. To your credit Pat, it takes someone familiar with trout fishing and specifically fly trout fishing, to be able to identify these tendencies. Thanks for "sharpening" my steelhead chops! I look forward to coming back up and learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me say that in the five years that I have been steelhead fishing I can't think of a trip that I have taken that I can't vividly remember. There is something intrinsically unique about every steelhead trip and thus the steelheader becomes not only addicted to the pursuit of this specific species but addicted to the process. Many people have written much more elegant words about steelhead fishing than I ever could produce but allow me, if you will, to cut to the heart of those assertions.

    Steelhead fishing becomes more than any other type of fishing because of it's nature. Think about it steelhead only come in at a certain time of year. They are only located in certain tributaries and require a specific set of skills catch. With that said, steelhead fishing is not for everyone. However, for those who do become afflicted with the fever it becomes a constant part of their life, seriously, if you have met or live with a steelheader, you know.

    All that to say, that it has not been since my first trip to Erie that I have had such a day as I did this past Tuesday when I went out in search of steelhead with experienced angler and master guide Pat Campbell. Now you may think that I am laying it on thick but I can assure you there is a reason why I discern between the two.

    First, let me say that there is a difference between catching and teaching. You can know all the tactics and "things to look for" but to be able to put them into practice is a different animal. Second, just because you guide people and take the to good spots doesn't mean they will catch fish. With that said, it takes a special person to do both.

    When I left in the morning Pat was great about his approach, he asked me what my expectations were and from there we developed a plan on how to attack the day. He realized that I was interested in more than just learning good spots to visit and tactics to use. He realized that I was looking for an actively engaging way to fish the dynamic situations often found in Erie steelheading which are found also in many of the other steelhead fisheries.

    Pat and I developed a plan and proceeded to have one of the most prolific and productive days I ever had steelheading. Having taken a trip to Pulaski where I had an excellent trip early in the year I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged by the way Pat broke down situations and river tactics. He basically explained why I had the success I did in New York and why those same tactics and situations will work well elsewhere.

    I will end with this: when i first started steelheading I rode on a 6 hour trip wit two good friends to an area I knew nothing about. I fished all day with no luck and supreme frustration every time someone else hooked into one of these magnificent fish. It was not until the end of the day when I let my fly hang at the end of a riffle which happen to be the head of a pool that I realized what it is all about. I went to cast forward and my line caught, I turned to look down stream but by that time it was to late, my line began running away from me quickly and the rest is history. I landed the fish and have been returning to Erie in the fall ever since.

    Not since my first trip to Erie have I had such a fresh experience fly fishing. My advice to anyone headed to the area is to call Pat, book a day and go with it. Pat will work with you and find out what your looking for. If one man sharpens another consider me on point. Even with my experience trout fishing and steelheading Pat found ways to remind me of the basics and teach me new tactics and approaches that I never would have found on my own. If you want to skip at least 5 years ahead on your steelhead journey FOM is the guide service to call.

    ReplyDelete